Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Curry Udon


Curry udon is one of millions of Japanese dishes that I love and crave often. I think it hasn't been long since curry udon first came out at restaurants in Japan. I would say maybe 10 years? Anyhow, my mom is a kind of cook who takes the challenges of new dishes at restaurants and who finds the recipes for them on her own. One day, I was telling her how I had a crave for curry udon. At first, she was thinking. About 30 minutes later, she came out of the kitchen with a bowl of brown stuff which was making me hungry even more than ever. It was just right. Udon was absorbing all the good flavors in the soup. She told me it was exactly how it tasted at a restaurant. I asked her how she did it our of curiosity. At that time, I was a bit interested in cooking but not as much as eating. She told me that she used Japanese curry base, milk and some Japanese broth called dashi to make it taste mild and Japanese/fishy and seaweedy:).

Now I have this Indian curry that has been added too much spice in there... I can barely take a few bites. At first, I just mix it with chicken broth but I have some udon noodles in the cabinet.... I know what I have to do;D! Using my instinct, I start heating up the curry and add some water and dashi. When it starts boiling, I add the noodles. Nothing complicated. just keep it on for about 10 more minutes and it is done. By cooking the noodles in the curry soup, more flavors are added to them. Of course, it is still spicy but I think it adds a good kick to it. I think I succeed in the Indian curry make over!

0 comments: