Thursday, October 9, 2008

jaga jaga



On the way back to my place, I was thinking of nikujaga. We normally use beef for the dish but I only had chicken. Meat is meat, after all, so I decided to make it today. But the chicken went bad in the fridge! Hmmm... it really ruined my plan and excitement. No meat, no life. Well, that's too extreme, lol. I still wanted nikujaga so I call it "jagajaga" cuz niku means meat and jaga means potato in Japanese. It sounds cute and kinda implies that there are lots of potatoes in this dish. The recipe I found online listed 2 cups of water... I thought it was a lot of water but just followed it. I guess it was ok to have that much of water but it took too long to cook. I had to cook some other things like instant ramen for dinner. I just couldn't wait for jagajaga. At least, jagajaga turned out to be as good as nikujaga so I was happy. The potatoes did absorbed all the flavors of the sauce (soy sauce, sugar, mirin, chicken broth and rice wine). I think I like anything with potatoes in it. Mmm... I wanna make that potato gnocchi I made for Kayo. She told me it was great but I wonder if she was just being nice or not, lol. I am supposed to be cooking with my roommate on Saturday so maybe we will make potato gnocchi together;D. I need to buy some ingredients tho like cream and walnuts... Jagajaga will be my lunch tomorrow<3 I love left-overs.

0 comments: